[Cialug] SUSE Question

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Mon Aug 8 17:03:16 CDT 2005

I am running SUSE 9.2, I believe (Server's at the office and I'm at
home off today). My colleague called me up and said that the server
went down again.  It had been working for months with no problem and
then all of a sudden, it is acting a little more temperamental.  The
same is true for a client of ours who we helped set up something
similar to what we have. It worked for months with no problem, and then
all of a sudden, it is going down and then 20 days later, it is down
again.

Any thoughts what might be the problem?  I plan to investigate the logs
and such, but I am off today so I don't have access to them when
they're down (obviously). I will post what the logs say when I can get
to them tomorrow (unless I can figure it out myself).  I'm more
concerned with the seeming indication that it is becoming unstable.

I just know enough to get things setup and configure things and keep
them running but not enough to be an expert when things go wrong or
need more detailed fixing.  I would like to be, but haven't gotten
there yet. So, I thought I would check with you to see if you had
experienced anything similar and see if you had any suggestions on
troubleshooting tips for this kind of thing.

Both are being used as fileservers both as SFTP and Samba servers. Our
client's is also being used as an email server and a webmail server (I
know it is better to separate the fileserving and email functions, but
the client doesn't have the budget to separate the two functions at
this time).

One last question ... do you recommend that servers be restarted from
time to time?  If so, how often do you recommend that happen?

Thanks,

Stuart