[Cialug] Determining File Format

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Aug 8 16:53:20 CDT 2005

is it rot 13?

-----Original Message-----
From: John.Lengeling at radisys.com [mailto:John.Lengeling at radisys.com]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 4:51 PM
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Determining File Format

Well if strings returned some ascii data it isn't a compress file of any
type, other wise it would have compressed it.

Do some Google searches on the file name and other keywords like GEMPAK from
the output.

johnl

Jonathan Bailey <jcbailey at code0.net>
Sent by: cialug-bounces at cialug.org

08/08/2005 04:25 PM

Please respond to
Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>

Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [Cialug] Determining File Format

Not a ZIP.. Doesn't have the PK header. I tried LZH also, but no go.
File has no idea (just says data) Strings returns the following:

http://code0.net/~jcbailey/appcfg.dat

http://code0.net/~jcbailey/appcfg.da~

APPCFG.DAT
# App
lication
figur
a Fil
NOTE:
_Name8
is the
8-cha
er a
used by
GemReg.
PxIf
t pre
gnta,Pm e at C
"GEMPAK
" do
ak (`x
#gool
dg@)
V1qY2
L1234567
zaFp
AMO
ql 0
9/27/99
lOpSy
FILES
Wm/d
/ebc
ompB(

The uncompressed version:

#
# Application Configuration Data File
#
# NOTE:  Appl_Name8 is the 8-character application name used by GemReg.
#        If its not present, GemReg uses the first 8 characters of
#        Appl_Name, which can get ugly -- "GEMPAK -" does not make
#        a good application name; hence the creation of Appl_Name8.  dg
#
#
#                   1         2
#          1234567890123456789012