[Cialug] kjournald hanging / not starting

Nick Claussen nclaus51 at iastate.edu
Wed Aug 3 13:21:18 CDT 2005

I am having an issure with kjournald starting, as in it won't. I get to the line
during boot that says
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

Then it just hangs there and does nothing, I have yet to fully boot into gentoo,
and get a login prompt, so I can't post any dmesg output and such.

However I have no problem booting the 2005.0 live CD, or a Knoppix CD, so I am
guessing it is a problem with some configuration on my system, but I don't know
where to look to try to fix it.

I have tried a 2.6.9 and 2.6.12 kernel. I have checked my fstab and it is
correct,  fdisk - l /dev/hdc shows all the partitions there and /dev/hdc1 is
marked as boot

I have and ext3 partition /dev/hdc1 mounted as / and an XFS partition /dev/hdc3
mounted as /mnt/media if that helps with the solving of the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you
  --Nick