[Cialug] What's your modem?

Rocket Robin Hood jason at benalto.com
Tue Aug 2 09:08:31 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 10:51, Claus wrote:
> No offense, but I'd say the problem lies between the chair and the
> keyboard.  You have to realize that Qwest doesn't support Linux since
> they don't have the time and knowledge to do so.

That is FINE but what perplexed me and still does is
a) Upon hearing none of my browsers work, I was encouraged to try Netscape.
When this worked, one might be tempted to think "oh, there's some browser
configuration trick, they've probably encountered people using alternate
browsers (non IE er Netscape) before and have a general idea what's wrong.
Perhaps they could tell me!"
DUH!

I am assuming the problem lies 'between the chair and the computer'. I seek
enlightenment. Let's assume I took my computer to someone's home network with
a working modem, plugged it in, and it did the same thing. What would YOU do?

See, if someone posted to the list something like "Uh, my burner's not
working" I would at least start out with "What happens when you type cdrecord
-scanbus" or "type less /etc/fstab and copy and paste that to me"
or ....something. I wouldn't write an essay calling them a retard.