[Cialug] DHCP Server: how can a client get the same IP after restart?

Kenneth Ristau kristau at kristau.net
Mon Aug 1 17:42:26 CDT 2005

Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> Is this a client option, or do I just need to lengthen my DHCP leases or set
> some other option?

I don't know of any options to force that behaviour.  However, I do
believe you need to set your reserved addresses outside the DHCP range.
 For example:

# subnet declaration
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.125;
  option routers 192.168.0.2;
}

# First reserved address
host kitchen {
   hardware ethernet 00:06:22:A4:A4:27;
   fixed-address 192.168.0.126;
   }

If you declare your reservations inside the DHCP range, there is no
guarantee that another host won't grab a lease for a "reserved" IP.
Then you have to wait for the lease to expire.

Hope that helps!
kristau
--
Tired programmer