[Cialug] DHCP Server: how can a client get the same IP after restart?

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Aug 1 15:51:46 CDT 2005

Recently I switched to using the Linux DHCP server on redhat 9 distribution
instead of my firewall.  I really like being able to specify IP addresses by
MAC address.  However, It seems with other DHCP implementations the server
would reserve the address even when the machine was off any the machine
could get the address again when it started up.

Is this a client option, or do I just need to lengthen my DHCP leases or set
some other option?

These are my lease settings:
        default-lease-time            21600;
        max-lease-time                21600;

I believe that makes it 6 hours.  But I have machines that get a new address
each time they boot and it is a little annoying.  Does the client have to be
able to request the old lease again somehow?

For convenience sake I would just like to reboot a machine and have it get
the same dynamically assigned address until I can assign a permanent or
static one.

-Nate

Nathan Smith  McKee, Voorhees & Sease, P.L.C.  515.288.3667