[Cialug] What's your modem?

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Mon Aug 1 08:54:33 CDT 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> My 701 had the wifi enabled by default. Also, when you look at the
> config, it didn't show the default settings in the configuration fields
> until after I changed them. That lended itself to a very embarassing
> troubleshooting session. Granted, it told me in the paragraph of text
> above the config fields, but that isn't very intuitive...

I think they are shipping refurbed/used modems as new. I've gotten some
that had other people's logins in them. They don't ship with wifi enabled
when new, you have to turn it on.

The config on them is easy, pull dhcp, go to 192.168.0.1, basic setup,
enter name and password that the ISP gave you, save and restart. For 98%
of the installs we do, that's about all that we need.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent