[Cialug] Open source for Crystal Report???

Josh More cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:33:34 -0500

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 13:17 -0500, Elizabeth Murray wrote:
> HI.  New to the group and new to Linux.
>
> Do you know if there is an open source or Linux substitute for Chrystal
> Report?
>
> One of the guys on my web team is wanting to replace all of our MS IIS
> sites with Linux.  We got hacked last week.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Liz M

Liz,

There is a tool called DataVision, that I do not have direct
experience with.  http://datavision.sourceforge.net/

However, for generating reports on Linux, I just use perl and
the DBI/DBD modules.  It is a more code-based solution, but if
you combine it with the perl PDF modules, you can get some
very high-quality reports for many different databases.

As with most Linux/Open Source solutions, there is always more
than one way to do it.

Hopefully this is helpful.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP