[Cialug] IPMI Sensors issues/HP NetServer

Jonathan Bailey cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:08:59 -0500

Just finished installing Ubuntu Horay on an HP NetServer LC2000. I've gotten
RAID, etc working. The next step for me is getting the sensors working so I
can monitor them. As I understand, this particular server uses IPMI. Loaded
the IPMI modules and everything works except for the 'chassis' and 'sensor'
commands. Running 'ipmitool chassis status' gives me 'Error sending Chassis
Status command: Invalid command'. Also, running 'ipmitool sensors list' just
pauses for a few moments and then goes back to the prompt. Due to the sparse
docs, I'm posting here to see if anyone has sensors working on a NetServer.

Here is the IPMI mods I have loaded:
ipmi_si                29820  0
ipmi_devintf            7556  0
ipmi_msghandler        39752  2 ipmi_si,ipmi_devintf

root@sparky:~ # ipmitool -V
ipmitool version 1.8.1

root@sparky:~ # ipmitool -v -v sensor list
--SNIP--
SDR record ID   : 0x06a7
SDR record id mismatch: 0xa706
SDR record type : 0x02
SDR record next : 0x06d7
SDR record bytes: 41
Getting 41 bytes from SDR at offset 5
SDR record ID   : 0x06d7
SDR record id mismatch: 0xd706
SDR record type : 0x02
SDR record next : 0x0707
SDR record bytes: 36
Getting 36 bytes from SDR at offset 5
SDR record ID   : 0x0707
SDR record type : 0x02
SDR record next : 0x0737
SDR record bytes: 37
Getting 37 bytes from SDR at offset 5
SDR record ID   : 0x0737
SDR record id mismatch: 0x3707
SDR record type : 0x02
SDR record next : 0x0767
SDR record bytes: 37
--SNIP--

Seems to be seeing SOMETHING, but of couse I don't understand that list
much.. :-)

Jonathan C Bailey
Code0 Networks
jcbailey@code0.net