[Cialug] Des Moines Area ISPs

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:50:30 -0500

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:23:55PM -0500, Academician Kula wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:18:57PM -0500, Theron Conrey wrote:
> >
> > I, like many of you, run servers out of my home.
> > [ . . . ] so reading slashdot's link today:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/12/ifpi_drafts_code_of_conduct/
> > rattled me in my socks.

"France's ISPs seemed to have rolled over already."

Harumph.  So much for the vaunted EU privacy protections.  Maybe
its time for me to move my domains from GANDI.

> > After comcast's leaving a bad taste in my mouth in NJ i swore never to
> > be bogged down by such a repressive eula (You saw him repressing me
> > didn't ya?!?!?)

"Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system."

> > and found Freese-Notis here in Des Moines.  Bridged  IP
> > from Quest, static IP, an agreement that lets me do what I want with my
> > service, blah blah, blah ISP Nirvana.........
> >
> > So this question is posed:  What ISP do you use and why?
>
> Freese-Notis, for basically the reasons you listed above, and the fact
> that I know where they are at, and can drive down there and pound on
> the door if necessary....

What he said, mostly.  Except that I don't know exactly where
they are.  If I need to know, I'll bug Thomas, I guess.
Basically, all the net-savvy geeks I know in Ames who can get
DSL use them.  My experience with them over several years now,
including a move to a new phone number, has gone pretty well.

<plug>If I weren't already hooked up with FNGI, I'd also consider
CIALUG's own Dave Weiss' InternetSolver.</plug>  Well, if they
had an Ames point-of-presence (which so far as I know they
don't, yet.  Is that right, Dave?).  Again, this because I know
the (some of) the people involved and have seen evidence of
their cluefulness and helpfulness over time.

--
D. Joe Anderson         http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
"DRM [...] is to copyright law as a machine gun on