[Cialug] OT: Management Recruiters (was: Farming of e-mail addresses)

Josh More cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:30:45 -0500

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:25 -0500, Theron Conrey wrote:
> So not using a Headhunter, and not the obvious Monster.com, what else
> would you recommend for someone wanting to look for a job in the IT
> field in the DSM area?

The story goes that is easier to get business in Des Moines with a
handshake than with advertising dollars.  My experiences confirm this.
The best way to get a job here (and likely elsewhere) is to build and
use your personal network.  My suggestion is to use your friends to
find possible companies that match you.  Then read the book _Don't
Send a Resume_ by Jeffrey Fox and follow his guidelines.

While your mileage may vary, this method has yet to fail for me.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP
 morej@alliancetechnologies.net