[Cialug] OT: Farming of e-mail addresses

Bryan Baker cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:47:07 -0500

On Apr 6, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Could they be getting them from the list archives?  There are mailman
> settings to "obfuscate" email addresses (smith from ipmvs dot com)
> and to
> make the archives off-limits except to list members.  (that won't help
> if
> they join the list though).  We could also add a policy to the first
> message
> the list sends (and the bottom of every message) that indicates proper
> uses
> of the lists and addresses.

After looking at the list archive (unless someone just stepped in and
did this) it looks like sender addresses are already munged.
This does NOT however, do anything about people's .sigs.
My guess is that they may have used the archive, but the scraping got
the mails from those - not much Mailman could do about that.

The policy idea might not be too bad (but DC is right, that we've been
pretty lucky, and this thread is bigger than this particular problem)

btw - I got 2

--
Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate