[Cialug] OT: Farming of e-mail addresses

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:11:26 -0500

Could they be getting them from the list archives?  There are mailman
settings to "obfuscate" email addresses (smith from ipmvs dot com)  and to
make the archives off-limits except to list members.  (that won't help if
they join the list though).  We could also add a policy to the first message
the list sends (and the bottom of every message) that indicates proper uses
of the lists and addresses.

-Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Pohl [mailto:tom@tcpconsulting.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:03 AM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] OT: Farming of e-mail addresses

It appears that they sent it through xroads.net mail server.  Their TOS
are located here: http://xroads.net/Terms%20and%20Conditions.pdf

Unfortunately, the terms seem very vague and don't seem to have the
normal "don't do illegal things" in it.  If we really wanted to be
bastards, I'd say let's complain to their ISP, but since they offer
consulting services, I'd bet that they setup the scraping system that
they use ;)

-Tom