[Cialug] OT: Farming of e-mail addresses

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:08:35 +0000

The fact that I got the e-mail at both addresses leads me to believe they pulled
them from the archives.  I usually submit to the list from this address, mainly
because the other forwards to GMail and I can't set the From address (I can set
the reply-to, but the list server balks at the unknown From).  So if they got
both addresses, they had to have looked through older messages that had the
other address.

I think the addresses should definitely get obfuscated, or removed entirely when
archived.  I get a lot of SPAM at the other address, and I used that address 3
places.  That means it had to come from the LUG, RedHat, or meetup.com (from the
Slashdot Meetup groups).  I doubt RedHat sold the address, it could've been
meetup.com, but I suspect it was gleened from the archives.  I know at one point
I did a search, and found my address shown in messages on the archives.  When
quoting a message I submitted, instead of it having:
"Tim Wilson wrote:"

It had my address.  Actually, looking at this thread, messages coming from
several servers have this address instead of my name.

I don't have a problem with job opportunities getting posted to the list, we've
had it done before.  I think that's fine, especially since I know people looking
for jobs.  But, to grab the addresses and send the e-mail "behind our backs"
seems anti-social.  Following the rule of "never buy anything sold via SPAM"
still holds true in this case.  Would I really want someone placing me that was
unethical enough to steal addresses and SPAM a bunch of people?

--
Tim W.