[Cialug] UPS Batteries

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:15:03 +0000

A couple years ago, I had them test a couple UPS batteries for me.  It took them
a couple weeks, but they didn't charge me anything.  They said they tested good,
but I'm not so sure.  On an APC 1400, I only have my Linux box (PIII 700 tower),
a monitor (which is usually off), and a cable modem.  The electricity went out,
and the batteries died fairly quickly; less than 30 minutes (I estimated
electricity was out just over 30 minutes based on other observations).  I
would've thought something that powerful would've lasted longer than that.
Especially since the load meter registers nothing with everything turned on.  Is
this normal?  We have a 1400 at work and have an IBM F50 server on it, I think
that lasts about 30 minutes.  I know an F50 pulls more juice than a PIII tower.
 Can they not test how long a battery will hold a charge?

--
Tim W.