[Cialug] OT: mp3 player shock warning

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:42:17 -0600

<OT>
This warning may apply to anyone with an MP3 player with a metal
chassis, like my Rio Carbon, or an iPod.

Do not set your player down on a stack of paper on your desk with your
ear buds in, and remove your fleece jacket. You may shock your ears with
static electricity. It's a little bit painful, and a lot scary, and
causes your mp3 player make loud popping noises. I imagine you could do
permanent damage to your mp3 player too.

It may have been worsened because the stack of paper was touching the
plastic monitor stand base... and a 19" CRT can generate a lot of static
too.
</OT>