[Cialug] Linux Tweaks and Hacks

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:45:20 -0600

How easy is it to manually repair reiser? Are there many disaster
recovery utilities? For now i've been sticking with ext3 simply because
it is so similar to ext2. And with ext2, in certain situations i've had
to edit the file system with a hex editor. I've had to do this in rare
situations such as when *someone* <ahem> accidentally deleted an entire
web site for which there was no backup. Editing the file system with a
hex editor isn't fun, but there are tutorials written for ext2 which
are quite helpful and can walk one through the process of restoring
directories and then files. Do reiser and other systems work similarly
enough that the same techniques for disaster recover could work?
Perhaps it wouldn't be as big a deal for me today; now my machines both
at home and at work are backed up to a file server on a daily basis.

 >At 10:50 AM 11/11/2004 -0600, you wrote:
 >
 >As for file system benchmarks a quick search on Google brings up
 >http://www.namesys.com/benchmarks.html.  Of course, this is from the
 >maker of ReiserFS so take it with a bit of salt.  The full Google
return
 >can be found
 >http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=file+system+benchmarks&btnG=Goog
 >le+Search
 >
 >Personally I use reiserfs for all my systems.
 >
 >Here is another set of benchmarks which put JFS on top with Reiserfs
 >second. http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html
 >
 >Regardless, either is better than the old ext3.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.