[Cialug] [cialug]10.1 networking problems

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:41:32 -0600

Dan Hockey AAS/ASE wrote:
> I installed mdk 10.1 power pack ed on my laptop and had wifi working
> just fine for about a week when wifi quit. I tried to reinstall the
> card(orinoco gold)but all that shows up in the wifi setup is "manually
> load driver", so I tried the orinoco_cs driver and it still shows
> "manually load driver". cardctl info/ident shows the card properties but
> wifi still didn't work.So I tried the wired network and it worked just
> fine.This is the point when I took the windows way of fixing things...a
> clean reinstall. This worked for a little over a week then the same
> problems showed up again, wifi quit, but wired networking still works. I
> rebooted to xp and the wifi card and ap's are working with no
> problem.Has anyone else heard of anything like this?Is there some way to
> fix this without reinstalling?
> -dh

That's very bizzare. When I've had problems with my wifi card (orinico
silver, mandrake 10.1) I just remove the card & re-insert it (check
dmesg to see if it loads the drivers), then ifdown / ifup it. You might
also check iwconfig and see if it has the correct settings for the AP
name & WEP.

-dc