[Cialug] [NEWS] Antispam case goes BOOM!

Claus cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:04:02 -0600

Isn't that statement a little silly: "Arthur said the best way to
eliminate spam is to start over and set up a new, unique e-mail account
with an address you only share with friends and family."

I mean it's on the same level when I tell people to secure their
computers by disconnecting it from the network, concrete it into a huge
concrete block and dropping it into the depth of the ocean.  While this
solution surely addresses the problem it misses the point of having a
computer/e-mail address in the first place.

One should be able to give out their e-mail addresses to acquaintances,
businesses and even post it on one's web site to harvest the full
potential of e-mail communication without having to worry about it.

A better suggestion would be to pick an e-mail provider that provides
superior spam filtering.  Even in this day and age it's quite possible
to reduce spam to a acceptable level and a lot of e-mail service
providers provide such services.

   Claus