[Cialug] Question about going broadband in Des Moines...

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:29:53 -0600

I think we're blessed by having 3 DSL ISP's on this list that are very
Linux Friendly:

Freese-Notis - they also host the CIALUG server for us
InternetSolver.com - Dave Weis's company, he's also VP of the LUG
Marshallnet.com - Jon Clemons, who's a long-time member of this list

All of these guys run linux servers themselves, and none will "freak
out" if you're running linux. I'm sure any one of them would be glad to
have you as a customer.

I've used Qwest.net, Freese-Notis, and now InternetSolver for DSL.

With Qwest, I had to lie and tell them I was running Windows when we
went thru the setup - he'd tell me "click on your Network Neighborhood
and go to Properties..." and I'd be typing. He asked my what I was
typing so much for, I told him I was taking notes... :) That was several
years ago, so they may have changed their tone since then.

As far as the cable vs. DSL thing goes - it depends on what you want.
Cable has a better download rate - about twice the fastest DSL speed.
But upload speed is capped at 256k. I have 1.5m down and 1.0 up on my
DSL, which is nice if you want to do hosting, or you frequently copy
data back & forth. And technically, it's against your TOS to host web
sites, ftp or email servers on your Mediacom cable service, even though
some people do.

-dc