[Cialug] Question about going broadband in Des Moines...

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:58:14 -0600

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:34:50AM -0600, Rocket Robin Hood wrote:
> Hey there, first time poster, just joined the list. I use Linux, have for=
 some=20
> years now and I'm the only one I know who does, so this could be neat. My=
=20
> main purpose right now is finding a DSL or cable provider in Des Moines T=
HAT=20
> DOESN'T FREAK OUT WHEN I DON'T HAVE WINDOWS, haha. Right now I'm at 56K w=
ith=20
> good ol' Qwest but can't go to Qwest (or Verizon, apparently) DSL. Any id=
eas?=20
> Thanks a lot!
>=20
>=20
> Jason

I have had Qwest DSL with a qwest.net account in the past and I now have Me=
diacomm cable Internet.  Both were/are run through a linux-based firewall/N=
AT router. I never really needed any technical support, per se, from either=
 company, but I did run into the "we only support Windows and Macs" attitud=
e a couple of times.

With Qwest it was simply the fact that I had to be very careful to make sur=
e they sent me the external DSL router, not the internal PCI card.  At that=
 time (not sure nowadays) the internal card was not linux-compatible.  I al=
so opted against having a technician come into my home, ordering the "self =
installation kit."  I promptly tossed the Windows-centric documentation to =
the side and dug into the Cisco 675 manual and learned more CBOS than I eve=
r wanted to.

With Mediacomm I ordered my own Linksys cable modem, making sure to pick th=
e one they listed on their compatibility list.  I had no choice but to allo=
w a tech into my home, as he had to connect and run the cable to where my m=
odem was.  I'll first state that he was very nice because he didn't leave u=
ntil we got things working -- despite what his manager told him when he cal=
led the home office for help (I could hear his manager say, "We don't suppo=
rt that OS.  Hook up the cable and leave.").  Still, he was kinda clueless =
about the whole "linux thing."  I had to tell him more than a couple of tim=
es that he could not simply install the Windows software off of the CD in h=
is tool kit, as he was dealing with a completely different OS.  He finally =
got the hint when I told him it was "like a Mac."  He made a mistake when t=
rying to register my MAC with the home office through Mozilla, and it turne=
d out that Mozilla was caching the registration failure page so it kept bom=
bing out.  By clearing the browser cache and re-starting Mozilla, we were f=
inally able to get things going.

Perhaps some ISPs are realizing that Mac OSX is essentially a *nix, ergo th=
ey can provide basic support to any *nix-like system?  Not sure, but it is =
nice to hear that some ISPs are at least acknowledging the alternative as a=
 viable option.

later,
kristau
--=20
"It is far easier to feign ignorance than it is to feign knowledge."