[Cialug] Mediacom

Dave J. Hala Jr. cialug@cialug.org
21 Aug 2002 08:03:56 -0500

After I rebooted my computers last night, I discovered that Mediacom
is enforcing it's "one ip address per customer" policy.

It appears that somehow the modem is filtering DHCP request by mac. (
wild guess) If they don't have your Mac on file, a DHCP request yields a
private ip address.  Then the only place you can to get to after that
is: https://sas.r21.mchsi.com   Where you register/unregister your mac.
If you add another mac it costs you an extra $5.00 per month, per mac.

I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later..... The technical support
person says tons of people are using extra IP's, so they are only
"turning on"  "IP enforcement" in a couple of communities at a time.

--
OSIS

le, a DHCP request yields a
private ip address.  Then the only place you can to get to is:
https://sas.r21.mchsi.com   Where you register/unregister your mac. If
you add another mac it costs you an extra $5.00 per month, per mac.

I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later..... The technical support
person says tons of people are using extra IP's, so they are only
"turning on"  "IP enforcement" in a couple of communities at a time.

--
OSIS
--
OSIS