[Cialug] PCIE for graphics card

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Oct 13 16:01:34 UTC 2022

Having never dealt with a huge graphics card before, I assumed PCIE power
was PCIE power, but also, not the case.

Grabbed an AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition card for extra monitors since
my nVidia card will no lonter work with newer kernels, only to find that
the PCIE power cable & splitter I have FITS the graphics card, but NOT the
MB!! When plugged into the ASUS PRIME Z490-P, it is a poor fit, and the MB
will not start with it plugged in.

It seems like the power cable splitter (and video card?) have a different
pinout:

	MB & PS			4 yellow one side, 4 black other side
	PCIE Y Cable		3 yelllow, one black, .. other ends weird

How is the video card powered?

	TIA!