[Cialug] Virtual Box VDI..

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Mar 29 23:37:07 UTC 2022

This might not be an exact on topic question.

I've got a dozen or so Linux VM guests on an older Amd Ryzen 7 windows 10
machine.  These linux guests range from RHEL 3 though RHEL 8, along with
some Fedora 35 and all the latest flavors of Ubuntu.  All the VM's  work
fine with Virtualbox 6.x on the Windows machine.

I move clones of these Linux VM's onto a half dozen windows machines in the
office on a regular basis and have never had a problem.  I export full
clones without any snapshots.

I've got a intel core i7 mac mini with monterey that I want to switch to.
If I export the linux vms as OVA images, Vmware fusion won't import them,
it throws an error saying the ova image is out of spec.

When I create a clone and save it as a .vdi to import into Parallels, I get
errors saying it can't find the operating system on the disk image, but the
start of the conversion reports the image size correctly.

Installing Virtualbox on Monterey causes kernel panics in Macos, so
Virtualbox is no go.

If I do a fresh install and create a new guest from scratch in either
Vmware fusion or Parallels on the intel Mac, the Linux guests are fine.  In
fact, the Parallels Linux guests have some really cool application dock
functionality.

I'm assuming that there is something that Monterey doesn't like about the
OVA and .vdi format of the Linux guests.

Could it be that I need to convert the images to .iso's and try to get
either VMware or Parallels to load them that way? Any one else had this
experience?

:) Dave

--
NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us