[Cialug] systemctl user ; environment variables

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:15:33 UTC 2022

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 3:02 PM Shane Nehring <shane at ntoast.com> wrote:

> Are you su-ed as the user? Systemd is getting really picky about that

I am not. I start the computer and it comes up to graphical.target. At the
gdm login screen I log in as me and then open a terminal window.

 or do the systemd su thing I can't remember off the top of my head.

If I do `machinectl shell 1000 at .host /usr/bin/systemctl --user` it works.
Also, it works if I do this:

$ sudo -u todd -i
$ export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$(id -u)
$ /usr/bin/systemctl --user

And, interestingly, right after I exit that sudo'd session, I can run
the systemctl --user as well. But just doing the export doesn't fix
it. sudo-ing to myself set something correctly. I dunno what.

--
Todd