[Cialug] Linux on Windows

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jun 2 13:52:37 UTC 2022

You should be able to install WSL2 on Windows 10 too. I've never done it
myself so I can't say how easy/hard it will be. Also, if this is a
corporate laptop it might be locked down to the point that you can't
install software or make any changes that haven't been blessed by corporate
IT.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 8:20 AM Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have recently come into contact with a Windows operating system. Don't
> worry, I'm quarantining. The problem is, it's going to be ongoing. My new
> employer requires that I use Windows, for the sole purpose (that I can
> figure) that I have special equipment on it that allows me to connect to
> their network. Some sort of MAC filtering, I'm guessing, and a badge
> swiper/reader for SSO.
>
> Anyway, I don't have the actual laptop yet so I'm not sure if it's Windows
> 10 or 11. If it's Windows 11, I am 100% installing WSL2 and using it. If
> it's Windows 10........ how does one use Linux on a Windows 10 workstation?
> I don't think WSL1 is going to cut it for me. I've been trying to use it in
> the VDI session they've given me and it's not quite up to par. A bit of
> preliminary net surfing reveals to me that there are alternatives to Cygwin
> these days. There's also MinGW, MSYS2, and Git for Windows. Obviously, one
> would prefer that one's filesystem be able to create proper symlinks. But
> one would prefer not to be in this situation to begin with, so one
> understands that one doesn't always get what one wants.
>
> Any suggestions? Any real-world experiences to share?
>
> --
> Todd

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.