[Cialug] ubuntu disk storage

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Feb 22 17:58:04 UTC 2022

It depends on what type of hardware you have.  If you have a hardware raid
controller, backup home, then create a monster hardware raid 6 or 10
partition with all drives, then create a new LVM partition on top of it and
then add it to the home drive.

If you don't have a hardware raid controller, then create a software raid
partition using mdadm, and then do the same as above.

Personally, both software raid (mdadm) and hardware raid work well, but
mdadm (software raid) on linux requires command line administration and is
more of pain a when you ned to replace drives, etc.  Not that it can't be
done easily, but replacing a drive isn't something you do often, so it's
likely you'll need to dig around in your setup and config documentation
whenever you need to do anything and that can be a pain.

:) Dave

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 11:50 AM Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:

> Your best bet is to pull a full backup of /home and start over I would
> think.
> LVM does not do redundancy.  For that you need mdadm i think, and
> preferably, zfs for it's block level corruption self healing.
>

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 11:46 AM <chris at bynw.com> wrote:
>
> > I did explain that if we moved the /home directory to the LVM space
> > there could be a loss if one of the physical drives in the LVM space
> > died. It wasn't a concern. So I followed the instructions here:
> > https://techsparx.com/linux/disks/ubuntu-move-home.html to move /home to
> > the "2nd drive" aka the LVM space.
> >
> > But since the weekend has passed he's changed his mind. And wants the
> > LVM space to be a RAID so the /home directory doesn't die without some
> > form of redundancy.
> >
> > I'm not sure I can move the /home back to the main drive or change the
> > LVM space to a RAID without totally redoing things on the LVM but that
> > would also mean I have to move the /home directory back to the primary
> > drive. And I cant figure out how to get that done.
> >
> > -Chris

> > > Sure, ... but remember, there is no redundance with LVM - a LVM is
> > > "logical", and relies on the underlying "physical" layer to provide
> > > reduncancy a la RAID.
> > >
> > > All LVM provides is the ability to span multiple physical partitions
> > > into
> > > a single logical partition, .. if one drive dies, everything is toast
> > > unless the physical volumes are part of a RAID configuration.
> > >
> > > That is the main reason I prefer RAID6 over LVM - much easier to
> > > extend,
> > > and much simpler to manage with mdadm.
> > >
> > >       Lee

NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us