[Cialug] ubuntu disk storage

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Feb 18 21:11:26 UTC 2022

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 chris at bynw.com wrote:

> Actually Dave's response and the others have been very helpful on this little learning project. Thank you so much.
> Next question ..... can I move the /home directory to this LVM space??

Sure, ... but remember, there is no redundance with LVM - a LVM is
"logical", and relies on the underlying "physical" layer to provide
reduncancy a la RAID.

All LVM provides is the ability to span multiple physical partitions into
a single logical partition, .. if one drive dies, everything is toast
unless the physical volumes are part of a RAID configuration.

That is the main reason I prefer RAID6 over LVM - much easier to extend,
and much simpler to manage with mdadm.

	Lee