[Cialug] BtrFS

Hakan E. Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 16:34:53 UTC 2021

I am sorry to be this late to this discussion. I didn't have a chance to
login to my email account since Wednesday.

Please find attached the pdf version of the presentation since the html
version did not look ideal in my attempts to view.

I borrowed the "half-finished" statement for btrfs from the first
reference cited at the last slide. It is a recent article published in
ars-technica, you can click it to follow the link if you would like to
read it. My intention was to not mislead people to believing that btrfs
is totally safe, causing harm to their data, especially since the
remaining of the presentation buffs btrfs for its awesome features. I
worried that I may end up advertising it too much if I don't emphasize
its weaknesses; I guess I may have exaggerated them instead. I for one
use btrfs as my daily driver on a single device for 3-4 years with no
data loss so far. I did not layer lvm and btrfs as mentioned but it may
negate some of btrfs' weaknesses with a relatively low cost of
performance.

One last point is that I feel less knowledgeable in this particular
field than you guys, as I may have mentioned before, and that was
another reason why I wanted to be more conservative in my presentation
while I was actually highly recommending it, partly because it saved my
whole CD database, which was the initial reason of presenting this
topic. Again, I guess I overshot a bit.

Thank you for the opportunity, I appreciate it. While I am glad that I
stirred up some discussion, I am sorry if I caused some confusion and
misled some in the opposite direction of what I intended, lol!

Hakan