[Cialug] Are they OK?

chris at bynw.com chris at bynw.com
Mon Oct 4 19:35:01 UTC 2021

I saw this on Twitter. The source says it's from a deleted FB employee
reddit account.

"As many of you know, DNS for FB services has been affected and this is
likely a sympton of the actual issue, and that's that BGP peering with
Facebook peering routers has gone down , very likely due to a
configuration change that went into effect shorty before the outages
happened.

There are people now trying to gain access to the peering routers to
implement fixes, but the people with physical access is separate from
the people with knowledge of how to actually authenticate to the systems
and people who know what to _actually do_, so there is now a logistical
thing with getting all that knowledge unified."

chris