[Cialug] Android alternatives

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Mon Mar 29 04:25:17 UTC 2021

Thank you for the responses!  TLDR: the device is unsupported.

The device in question is a Motorola Moto E XT1528 (surnia) and I looked
at a few options: LineageOS, PostmarketOS, and Ubuntu Touch.  The device
isn't supported by LineageOS or Ubuntu Touch.  PostmarketOS claims to
support it, but Motorola's list of flashable devices doesn't include
mine, and when I ran fastboot the output said the device wasn't
supported.  To make sure I didn't mess up inputting the requested
string, I entered a bogus one, and got an error message saying it wasn't
a valid string.  But since PostmarketOS said the phone was supported, I
tried to install the OS anyway, and later, finally, it was unable to
flash the device with the .img I had created.  Also the phone screen had
some output at that time, can't remember the exact words, suggesting the
flash command was unsupported.

So I feel like I did every reasonable thing I could and I'm not sure how
other people got PostmarketOS on this phone.

That's okay though.  I definitely still want to do this in the future
one way or another.

Thanks!
Nicolai