[Cialug] Android alternatives

Barry Von Ahsen vonahsen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 19:31:10 UTC 2021

> On Mar 24, 2021, at 1:32 PM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org> wrote:
>
> Anyone using an open source Android alternative on a phone?  I have an
> old freebie stuck on Android 5 with no further updates available, seems
> like a perfect opportunity to try something out on it but I don't have
> the first clue about options etc.  What's your experience?
>
> So what projects are stable?  What's good?  What do you like and why?

I ran cyanogenmod up until the point they changed to lineageOS, but that was at least 5 years ago.  I was also never super comfortable with "download GAPPS from this random forum post", but it was sort of required.  I don't know if lineage is any better about that these days

I know Theron has been playing with PinePhone, which has physical dip switches for most of the radios.  The OS sounds like it's similar to early linux days (that is, needs tweaking and TLC) - https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

-barry