[Cialug] Printers

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:01:52 UTC 2021

One of my first IT related jobs, I worked for a place that refurbished
printers and terminals from auto parts stores, mostly dot-matrix, band
printers or chain printers. They were super dirty and nasty, and had dirt,
soot, grease gumming up the works and we had to take them apart and clean
everything. Some places had the printers inside a case with a fan & filter
on the side and that kept them a lot cleaner. I'd see if you can buy or
make a box like that to keep the unit in, would be a lot better than having
it out in the shop. Regular maintenance to vacuum the dust out would be
good too.

Equipment in just a warehouse where they move cardboard boxes on pallets
will quickly get filled up with dust - saw a place where the Cisco switch
was failing, when I picked it up and tipped it over, dust poured out of the
side vents. We replaced it, but were able to open the old one and clean it
up, then it worked OK.

-dc