[Cialug] Firefox Support for TLS v1.0 and v1.2

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:47:51 UTC 2021

So I finally got one of these today, for the first time:
https://imgur.com/YDeN2Qa

It's a message from Firefox in place of the website I was trying to load.
It says:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to directory-proxy.castlebranch.com.
Peer using unsupported version of security protocol.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

This website might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum
version supported by Firefox. Enabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 might allow this
connection to succeed.

TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will be permanently disabled in a future release.

And there's a button that says it will "Enable TLS 1.0 and 1.1". But I've
clicked the button and it still doesn't allow the site to load. It still
says, "SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION". I loaded about:config and see that
security.tls.version.enable-deprecated is now set to true.

I'd like to figure out what version of TLS this site is offering up. Any
ideas on how to do that?
--
Todd