[Cialug] Stimulus -> new TV (slightly off topic)

Justin Richeson neomatrixjr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:10:27 UTC 2021

Sorry to resurrect the dead...I've finally gotten around to actually
digging through personal emails.... So...for all the suggestions to avoid a
smart TV...can someone please tell me where you find such a unicorn today?
Almost every TV I could find on the market has "smarts" baked in.  I
already owned an nVidia Shield TV that we loved, but when our TV died it
got replaced with a TCL w/ Roku (as did my positively ancient Vizio 2nd gen
plasma...except Hisense instead of TCL).  Sadly, the shield is now
relegated to my crappy 720p bedroom 24" tv.... as Roku has actually been
handling our stuff for the most part.
Also, I've started using AdGuard vs. PiHole.  I had to rebuild it a while
ago...so maybe the default blocks aren't enough, but I haven't had any
complaints about much not working since setting it back up.  I do know at
one time I had problems with PBS Kids and the DisneyNOW! app on my kid's
tablets not working right with blockers on.