[Cialug] Code of Conduct?

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 16:36:26 UTC 2021

here's what could be called a pre-chilling effect, it's probably not novel,
but this comes from within

this addresses subjective, not objective considerations

intent of actions (including communication) cannot be reliably determined

the effects of actions, including their interpretations, change
continuously over time across multiple subjective contexts, most of which
don't yet exist
corollary:  standards of behavior change over time

note that the accuracy of reported of effect cannot be reliably determined,
let alone the intent of the reporter
since reporting effects is itself an action, see intent of actions

if the onus is on the speaker to avoid negative effects over all times, and
in all existing and potential future contexts,
then the speaker's efforts will either immediate or eventual effort (or
lack of) will have harmed someone, somewhere, somewhen
corollary:  in such an environment, it will always eventually be possible
to find someone who can claim to have been harmed by someone who took an
action

it would seem that it's never in any person's interest to take any action
at all
worse yet, intended inaction is itself an action, and intention of reported
unintended inaction will be subject to interpretation down the road

it would seem that everyone who acts or doesn't act will probably
immediately be or have been wrong, and not just now, but for all time,
probably multiple times and in multiple eventual contexts

corollary:  any action resulting in a formal code of conduct will
eventually, if not immediately, be found to have cause harm, including, but
not limited to having a chilling effect on communication

since we're all already wrong, perhaps can we just try to communicate as
best (we claim) we can

corollary:  i'll pay, somehow and somewhen, for saying these things
publicly

this is pretty incomplete and off-the-cuff, so if anyone is aware of a
better treatment of this subject, please either share with all or direct to
me

I choose to believe in the good, constructive intent of each of you.  I
hope each of you chooses to believe the same of each of us all, but
especially me  ;-)

thanks!