[Cialug] Google SPAM

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Thu Dec 23 05:51:12 UTC 2021

Lee, I'm not sure why you're resisting their answers, but David and Andrew have the correct answer(s) as far as the problem was described. Use email headers to verify where the email is from and blacklist to your heart's content if it says it's Google/Gmail without proper SPF/DKIM saying so. If you wanted "Google but not Gmail", you could take the Gmail SPF record, dump the netblocks (looks like there are about a dozen or so CIDR ranges currently), take the reverse DNS of the source IP, and if it comes from Google, compare against the list from the SPF record. But the "right way" would not be to blacklist Google Cloud just because of some bad actors, rather just those that aren't passing SPF go to junk automatically.

Side note, for what it's worth, 209.x.y.z is not a class B in classful networking, it'd be a class C (but that's not really relevant anyway since CIDR). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classful_network https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc791
Side side note, the domain registration data and DNS servers for theplanet[.]com do not appear to correlate with any other Google-owned domains I've spot-checked (google.com, google.org, gmail.com, abc.xyz)

Lastly, if you've already isolated the spam to a single IP address - why not just block that one?