[Cialug] Root servers

Barry Von Ahsen vonahsen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:37:34 UTC 2021

on debian stable, in bind9, a hint file is at /usr/share/dns/root.hints, which also references https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache

you could then whois the A records, but I'm guessing these orgs have huge class A net blocks that point to a corporate office.  I'd also hope that the servers are clustered and VIP-ed and physically distributed

https://root-servers.org/ seems to confirm that, the D root server by the U of Maryland looks to be about 162 distributed servers.  You can download a yaml file that has a bit individual server info, including lat/long data (but which seems to be city-center)

from there, traceroute is probably your friend :)

-barry