[Cialug] Git Workflow Suggestion

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Apr 29 03:27:05 UTC 2021

I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of stuff, but the way you
describe your setup production should *never* deploy from master. Only from
the release/qa branch. Issues found by QA are fixed in the release branch
by cherry-picking patches from master.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 8:33 AM Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> For all you experienced git wizards out there, I would like a suggestion,
> please.........
>
> The QA team at work will be handed a branch of a repository and told to
> test it. So they do. They go back and forth with the developers and it
> takes a while, sometimes weeks. While they're doing this other changes may
> have been merged into master. So now whatever feature they're testing in
> their own branch drifts away from what's in master. What they're testing is
> no longer what will *actually* be running in production. The local feature
> may have some interaction with subsequent changes to master and they
> wouldn't know it. How can they keep their branch up-to-date?
>
> I'm supposing they'd need to periodically rebase their branch, if that's
> the right term. It'd be nice if that could be automated. We use GitLab, but
> that doesn't (as far as I know) have such a feature.
>
> --
> Todd

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.