[Cialug] Linux Processes

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 14:12:13 UTC 2021

I really wish Linux had a clear way of showing what processes start just
because they're standard stuff, and what processes are running because an
admin made them run.

* The processes that are in square brackets are kernel threads. They
represent real work being done, but they're not *really* "processes".
* Then you always see background stuff like dbus and gpg-agent and cups. I
might want to know they're running, but not normally.
* The desktop environment always starts up a ton of stuff. I'd like all
those to be grouped together as part of one thing.
* If httpd is running then that's definitely a Thing Of Interest. postfix,
haproxy, php-fpm, etc. Those are things I want to be front and center by
default.

I haven't figured out an easy and effective way of getting just what I
want. Of knowing what's running because it's supposed to be, and what's
running just because it supports something else. This usually is an issue
when I get into a server that I didn't set up, but now I'm doing forensics
trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

--
Todd