[Cialug] virtualbox linux guest

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Nov 18 10:30:29 UTC 2020

I have rhel 8 virtualbox guest running on windows 10 host.   Host is a dual
monitor setup running one display at 2560 x 1440 one at 5120x 2160, with an
NVIDIA 1060 3GB.  Windows performance is really good.

VB video config for the guest is set at 128mb (the max) using the VMSVGA
video display adapter.

The display performance of  the linux guest was fine when at 2560 x 1440
resolution, but when moving up 5120x 2160, atom is slow when scrolling text
and moving between code tabs. Sometimes the atom page refreshes are slow.

Using the Gnome x11 server for the desktop helps because Wayland is also
slow.

An update to the latest version of Atom helped, but I don't think atom is
the real problem.

I'm assuming that maybe the bottle neck here is the Virtualbox display
driver?  Does anyone know of a solution that will help with performance
other than running this ditching the VM and running on native hardware?

:) Dave
--
NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us