[Cialug] Just Tell Me The IP!

Will staticphantom at gmail.com
Thu May 21 18:01:31 UTC 2020

Just kick it old school and set a udev rule for eth0. That trick shut up a
lot of people who bitched when systemd was adopted and broke all their
scripts. I'll look up the actual trick for it, however something I plucked
for people that hated systemd on this were:

I don't like this, how do I disable this?

You basically have three options:

   1. You disable the assignment of fixed names, so that the unpredictable
   kernel names are used again. For this, simply mask udev's .link file for
   the default policy: ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link
   2. You create your own manual naming scheme, for example by naming your
   interfaces "internet0", "dmz0" or "lan0". For that create your own .link
   files in /etc/systemd/network/, that choose an explicit name or a better
   naming scheme for one, some, or all of your interfaces. See
   systemd.link(5)
   <http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.link.html> for
   more information.
   3. You pass the net.ifnames=0 on the kernel command line

Source:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

-Will C