[Cialug] facebook

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Thu Mar 5 17:59:14 UTC 2020

I'm sorry that you find yourself in a situation like this, I I support
your need to vent your frustrations, but I don't think it's a good idea
to vent your political frustrations on the list... particularly during
an election season.  As for the technology firms having a bias against
disabled people, that doesn't really have anything to do with Linux.  If
you want help from people on the list trying to find a job in IT, I am
sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to try to help you
not only narrow down where you might be able to find a workplace that
would be willing to meet your needs, but also help you find ways to work
around your problems more efficiently.  You might be able to demonstrate
how you have come up with ways to improve your productivity in an
interview, and having done so might also show the prospective employer
how they might be able to easily offer other ways to help overcome your
disability, which might allow them to see you as someone who is equally
as valuable as someone else with the same skill set, but who is not
disabled.

My first recommendation would be to not mention any disabilities until,
at the earliest, a face-to-face interview.  If an employer has a giant
group of faceless sheets of people who all claim the same job skills and
all have similar academic performance, it is that much easier to dump
the resumes of people who point out that they are pregnant, disabled, or
elderly.  It doesn't matter how illegal it might be to do so, it is
simple enough to just say that other people were "more qualified" or
that they found and hired someone before they "got to your resume in the
stack."  They are required to make accommodations for you under the ADA,
but they don't have to make those accommodations until you are hired.
If you can show them in an interview that you are doing your own work to
get around your disability, then they might see that as dedication to
your career, and with a workforce that is full of apathetic people, that
could be a huge plus in their eyes.  Also, working in a datacenter with
a TBI rings a lot of alarms in my head when I think of insurance
liability.  I'm not a doctor, so I don't know whether you are going to
be messing with a server one day and black out or have a seizure.  It
would be a good idea to have a doctor write you up a statement that
details what issues you may or may not have.  If you aren't going to
have any physical problems, then that could allay some of those fears.
The people doing the hiring are the type of people who got there because
they have a supernatural ability to cover their asses, and it's probably
easier to not hire a disabled person and cover their ass versus the ADA
than it is to deal with the fallout should the person who told you they
are disabled injures him-/herself on the job as a result of their own
disability.  Take away any reason to bust out the ass-shield during the
interview.

These are all just cynical suggestion from an armchair quarterback,
though.  I've never had the opportunity to hire anyone for an IT
position, so ask for people to help you off-list.  There are plenty of
people on this list who have been in a position to hire people for IT
work.  Let's try to keep any mentions of political parties off the list.

-- Matt (N0BOX)