[Cialug] Best Local SAN performance

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Wed Jun 24 04:12:26 UTC 2020

I think the case for NFS over SMB is when you need the filesystem on the
share to support POSIX permissions.  It would be better in the case of
say, instead of mounting user home directories locally, you wanted to
mount them over the LAN.  As far as I know, SMB doesn't support POSIX
owner/group and permission bits.  If you only need the shares to be file
stores, and the only permission controls you need are that a specific
user has access to a share (rather than individual files with differing
read/write/execute permissions), then SMB is just fine.  That isn't to
say that you can't accomplish the same permission granularity with SMB,
just that it is a lot of work because you have to use windows-style
access control lists, and those ACLs aren't exactly native to Linux...

There has been a lot of blurring between SAN and NAS concepts, here.
Generally a SAN is a block level device that is available via the
network, while a NAS is a software layer that exposes a "share" to users
with access to it.  You can use special filesystems that allow for
multiple systems to mount that same block device, but many of those are
somewhat questionable in their stability.  The first thing that pops
into my head when I think of a filesystem that allows multiple systems
to mount the same block device is GlusterFS.  Sadly, I've never had a
chance to play with it, so other than knowing the name, I can't be any
help.  I'm pretty sure it is maintained by the Redhat people.  I bet
Theron could talk about it for days at a time if you were really
interested.

-- Matt (N0BOX)