[Cialug] Best Local SAN performance

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Tue Jun 23 18:31:40 UTC 2020

I have far fewer issues connecting to SMB shares than NFS shares from my Linux boxes. It's on my to-do list to convert my NFS share to an SMB share. SMB is far from "only" being useful with Windows clients. One of the things SMB does better (in my opinion) than NFS is access control. https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/b5ba8t/nfs_vs_samba_whats_the_trend_nowadays/ - you've got more options with SMB.

You can always use everything mentioned.... make the backplane iSCSI, have the server serve up AFP + SMB + NFS, throw in WebDAV, FTP if you wanna get crazy.

If you don't care about multi-user or multi-machine (simultaneous) access, and all of your potential clients are Linux... sure, NFS is probably best. But the performance gap really isn't much in most cases: https://blog.ja-ke.tech/2019/08/27/nas-performance-sshfs-nfs-smb.html

Also, you mentioned this is for your dev machines... wouldn't a Git server be better suited to that?