[Cialug] Video Conferencing

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:59:12 UTC 2020

I swear to friggin' frick'n'frack I am going to lose it. Why???? Is it so
friggin' hard?????? To use a video conferencing service that supports
Linux?????

There are *plenty* of services out there that will work on whatever
operating system or browser you have. But nooooo...... everyone has to use
crap like GoToMeeting and Zoom. I found a top-ten list on TechRadar of
video conferencing software. Out of the ten, five of them run on Linux!
Some of them are even free!

Those five are:

* BlueJeans
* Microsoft Teams
* Google Meet
* ClickMeeting
* BigBlueButton

At my employer, roughly 40% of employees run Linux on their workstations.
And yet people in the company still routinely send out requests from
GoToMeeting. Vendor calls are almost always that or Zoom or Webex. Bah!

--
Todd