[Cialug] OpenMeetings

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Thu Jul 16 23:43:27 UTC 2020

Late to follow up, but yeah... I was going by the three requirements of:
 * Multiple Rooms
 * Resource content by room
 * Video conference for a room or all

Nothing in the OP mentioned FOSS being a requirement. If "OpenMeetings or the equivalent" is the requirement, I might say nested screen-sharing of webcams via VLC with Apache Guacamole or similar, because it'd likely provide a similar level of clunkiness, overhead, and setup time. 🙂

Given the three requirements in the OP, Zoom is an option (and if Chinese government influence was a concern, we'd see a lot less use of it by the federal government - but I digress). If FOSS is also a requirement, that definitely changes things a bit. If it were me and those 4 requirements were all I had to go off of, I'd probably hack something together with VLC and OBS and SSH tunnels on a bunch of machines.

If FOSS is *not* a requirement, but non-Zoom *is* a requirement, I'd 2nd Teams, or possibly Messenger, or Discord, or if I was really adventurous, trying to get Snapchat or Instagram to do it (but those last two would probably be failing endeavors).