[Cialug] Mac/Arm

Erik Anderson erikerik at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 17:31:16 UTC 2020

As of right now, my understanding of the situation is that, while there are virtualization options for the ARM based processors, their guests still need to be ARM. As in, they don’t yet translate ARM world into x32/x64 world, at least not yet.

At some point, I have no doubt that Vbox may support this,  but the performance hit is bound to be hard to stomach.

While I’m excited about the some of the efficiency improvements of Apple moving to their own silicon, I’m a bit worried about how it will all play out for use cases like yours, which mirror the dev environments myself and my colleagues use.

As our resident guinea pig, I will likely order one of the new ARM machines when they first become available so I can start figuring out what’s broken and how to fix it, before we start ordering them for other employees.

- ea