[Cialug] Connect Two Independent Sites

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jan 9 21:43:56 UTC 2020

I would avoid a VPN tunnel between your servers and theirs, as it's
possibly a vector for ransomware or other nastiness to jump between
networks. I also would not expose your internal app to the public internet
unless it was designed to work that way (even over a reverse proxy server).
I'd set up a custom REST server that would broker requests between the
external vendor and your internal application.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 9:49 AM Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an architectural type question for y'all.
>
> There is a company developing a piece of software that will connect with
> our own internal systems. Their web app needs to pull data from an
> application we have. Our application is not (currently) exposed to the
> public. How would you suggest allowing them to connect?
>
> Options I've thought of:
>
> * Our app exposes a public API that they tug on
> * We set up a proxy server between the two
> * We set up a VPN tunnel of some sort between their servers and ours, at
> the network level or at the server level
> * We have somebody there and somebody here sitting at keyboards talking on
> the phone to each other and transmitting data, and just hope that scales
>
> We're reluctant to expose our test and qa systems to the internet. But
> maybe that's a suck-it-up-and-put-on-your-big-boy-pants kind of thing. I
> don't know.
>
> Any thoughts on best practice here?
>
> --
> Todd

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.