[Cialug] Managed WiFi

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Feb 1 23:07:04 UTC 2020

Unifi equipment needs to have a controller running somewhere. There's lots
of ways to do that depending on your time/money tradeoffs. The controller
is a Java program that'll run just about anywhere (uses MongoDB as the
backend database). If time is more important than money I'd suggest getting
a Unifi Cloud key, which is just a small computer with the controller
pre-loaded. Otherwise you can run the controller software on just about
anything. There are a bazillion youtube videos about setting up a
controller. The Crosstalk Solutions channel has some pretty good ones.

If you want to get the most out of the Unifi system you kinda need to go
whole hog with switches and a security gateway but you can certainly just
get APs.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 3:09 PM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>
> > Even Unifi requires a separate RADIUS server for client authentication
> > withWPA2-Enterprise, the authentication built into the Unifi Controller
> > is foradministrators only. If you're deploying new network gear I'd
> > agree thatUnifi is an excellent choice though.
> >
> Hard to tell from the web site, .. though it appears to have more than
> configuration (e.g. cloud).
>
> What would Unify require for a entry level installation with, say, four
> APs?
>
>         Thanks!

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.